There are three ways to become a Shrine & Temple Carpenter:
1.Shrine & Temple Carpenters Training School
A school to train shrine & temple carpenters incorporates positive aspects of the apprentice system and vocational schools to fit the modern age.
Through a three-year program, we train candidates into skillful shrine & temple carpenters.
- Acquisition of the artisan lifestyle
- Effectively mastering techniques through
- Lower cost
Shrine & Temple Carpenters Training Program: 1.95 million yen per 3-year program
5.7 million yen per 3-year program)
- Need to live at the school on weekdays
(Mondays through Fridays)
What is Shrine & Temple Carpenters Training School?
First, candidates apply for apprenticeship with the Master of Shrine & Temple Carpenters in order to become a live-in apprentice at his house.
Apprenticeship training takes 10 years, during which candidates also do chores related to food, clothing and shelter.
- Opportunity to learn techniques
- No personal time
- Need for 10 years of training
- No permission to do actual work is given for a long time
- Grueling training that leaves only a handful of candidates out of 100 after 10 years
Just as with common vocational schools, candidates go through an established, three-year curriculum.
- Learning along the curriculum
- Expensive (5.7 million yen per 3-year program)
(Training Program: 1.95 million yen per 3-year program)
- Candidates are likely to become too theoretical — thus likely to quit soon as they are less likely to have acceptable skills onsite.
- A 10-year training is necessary after graduation.